Thursday, December 19, 2013

Looking for Godly Role Models


I am a huge fan of Duck Dynasty.

Specifically, I am a huge fan of Phil Robertson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyL1xha_1aU

Watch that, the next 30 minutes your ears are free. You don't have to watch the video necessarily, since it functions well as an audio sermon. But I watched it, and fully enjoyed it.

So today when I read this:
http://www.today.com/entertainment/duck-dynasty-star-calls-homosexuality-sin-groups-gays-terrorists-2D11770372

Which lead me to this:

http://themattwalshblog.com/2013/12/19/dear-ae-congratulations-you-just-committed-suicide/

I got all hot and bothered.

In the comment section of Matt Walsh's blog, a good soul posted A&E's contact information. So I jumped on that like a bandit on a stagecoach and sent the following response to A&E. Normally I dislike passive-aggressive "Argh I'm angry about this development so I'm gonna yell at someone!" responses, but that's precisely what I'm doing. Sometimes it does your soul some good. :)


Sirs,
There are many superheroes that kids and adults relate to. Superheroes are fictional, but many people look up to popular entertainment icons as their role models. As their superheroes.

I and the thousands of Christians in this land have no such popular role models in contemporary entertainment, save for the wonderful folks at Duck Dynasty.

When you pander to certain activist groups and fire Phil Robertson (one of the only decent men being filmed for television today) for truthfully answering a pointed interview question about the Bible, it really does look like you're encouraging whiny, hateful intolerance.

Perhaps Christians should lobby and scream insults and deface property to get their way, eh? What if we threatened violence and harm toward you about all of the other television shows on your network, and blackmail you until ALL the shows you air reflect our beliefs? Of course not. We are to love our neighbors as ourselves.

I know, it's tempting to acquiesce to the demands of the arrogant loud-mouth. You'd hate to get on THEIR bad side, lest they say mean things about you! But you have effectively proclaimed that you are biased against honesty, faithfulness, and standing firm for one's beliefs: attributes our nation needs in a role model.

Don't worry, you didn't let me down, because I wasn't looking to you (or any other network) for my moral compass. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised that you would host such a fine, upstanding family on your network. Of course, you were practically printing your own money thanks to the Robertson family, but you allowed them to speak about their beliefs, which was awesome! Was awesome.

Our country needs faithful men to rise up and lead. You could have been on the forefront of that movement, thanks to your media presence. Oh well, God will still be glorified, just through another avenue. You have missed your chance.

Shawn Graber

If you'd like to contact A&E and yell at them yourself:
Send A&E feedback at: aefeedback@aenetworks.com or write to:
A&E Television Networks, LLC
235 E. 45th St.
New York, NY 10017
NY Tel. 212-210-1400
Fax 212-210-1308

No comments:

Post a Comment