Friday, December 27, 2013

Grumbling Through the Holidays

As of yesterday, I've had an awful cough that mom suspects is borderline bronchitis. Since then, I've spent most of my time in our hotel room, distracting myself with Christmas movies and searching for the key card that I somehow misplaced. This has left me feeling forgetful and frail, that is until two minutes ago when Shelby confessed he had accidentally snatched up my key card as well as his own. So now I just feel frail. 


This isn't exactly how I envisioned my Christmas vacation in Florida: tentatively venturing out to the beach and getting winded after 30 minutes, followed by coughing up little bits of world-class pork at Sonny's Pit Bar-B-Cue. After lunch, I retreated to the hotel room I'm sharing with my brothers and collapsed into bed, pouting that I was too tired and sore to join my family in the swimming pool. I threw another pity party when my family went to my uncle's for supper and I was too exhausted to attend. C'mon God! The entire Barry Graber family, all 18 of us, is here.  I have exactly zero minutes to be sick. I need to be spending all my spare minutes with my 5 nieces and 2 nephews! 


But The Lord didn't see fit to let me wallow in my miserable attitude. "Look at all the blessings I've given you, little one." 


A trip to Florida with my family.


A gluten-free dessert bakery within walking distance of my hotel room. 


My sister and her family spent over 3 days driving 3,000 miles from Oregon to Florida, while our trip took less than a day. 


That same sister brought curious potions and oils and creams that are now slathered over my chest, feet, and the inside of my esophagus. Those same oils, creams, and potions are doing sciencey antibiotic things against the potential bronchitis that is currently tightening a belt around my lungs. Meanwhile mom is delivering me cough drops and diet 7-Up and snacks and food and being all motherly. 


I got to spend Christmas Day with my wonderful Grandma Thelma and Grandpa Clayton, as well as hang out with dozens of cousins I haven't seen in years. 


The beaches in Florida, coupled with the weather, have been fantastic. An oxymoronic place to develop a debilitating cold that causes me to wear blankets and hoodies at all times, but I couldn't think if a better place to be for recovery: sitting in the warm sun, surrounded by family. 


"What did I tell you?" The Apostle Paul cheerily shouts. "In every circumstance, be content!" 


A quote on the internet grabbed me by the shoulders and shook me around for a bit: "Go 24 hours without complaining (not even once!) then watch how your life starts changing."


Posh! That's easy! I think to myself. But then I reflect on the last 36 hours, ashamed at all the grumbling I've caused my Savior to endure. 


God has been good to me, and I want to acknowledge that. Alright next 24 hours, let's do this. 


Merry (late!) Christmas, everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment