Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Ghana Update: Sunday, Day 6


Day 6 (Sunday)

Today was another relaxing day. After breakfast, we journeyed to a small outdoor church in an equally small village. The members of the congregation were already sitting under the small canopy and had started the service.  I can’t describe the worship in words very well but I really loved it.  The singing was beautiful and sincere.  The women danced and sang at the top of their lungs.  You could hear their voices just above the drums and tambourines.  One thing I think we all really appreciated were the few songs that were sung in English.  Worship seems to be a lot more meaningful when you know what you are saying to God, though even with the language barrier I could worship because the Holy Spirit was present and brought unity.

Dan Borntreger preached the sermon and did an excellent job talking about grace and sharing his testimony.  Marion and Carolyn Nisley both shared their testimony for the sharing time.  The people responded enthusiastically shouting out many “Amen’s!” and clapping when the Nisleys were finished.  It was awesome to see the joy in these brothers and sisters, fellowshipping with them as we spent the morning together in a metal-roofed shelter under the hot sun.

Rest is wonderful and a few team members took naps when we returned.  God did a great thing when He created a day for rest. The game cupboard was opened for the first time and little groups of Americans laughed and played the afternoon away. 

For supper, we were served an authentic Ghanaian meal prepared by some local women that Barb knows.  We ate balls of mashed rice with our choice of either ground-nut stew or a light soup.  The stew contained peanut butter and chicken, and it was far better-tasting than it sounds.  It had some kick to it, and reminded me of Thai Peanut sauce.  The light soup also contained chicken. It also contained some major spices and left your tongue wondering what hit it. Another bowl contained fufu which is cassava mashed with plantains. It tasted like a bland, spongy, starchy paste.  For dessert we were served watermelon, and I was relieved to finally taste ONE FRUIT that isn’t better than the fruit in the states.  It was refreshing but not as sweet as the melons in the Midwest.

At around 10pm, several team members called it a night, while others stayed up to talk and connect. I’m writing this as I sit on the porch with about eight others while we play the Ungame.  It’s very sticky and humid but the conversation is great.  It’s nice to talk instead of crowd around a TV or movie.  I’ll end with this: take some time to rest. In the busyness of America, we have some things to learn from the slower pace of Africa.  Take a few minutes to stop and breathe deep this Monday.  Thanks again for reading and praying!

-The Scribe

"
What did you think of this morning’s church service?” -The Scribe's Proofreader
 

“I liked the singing. The church service was really fun, but my hands got tired of clapping.”
 Isabel Weaver

“Church was lots of fun.  The clapping stuff was my favorite part.”
Ellie Sauder, Jon’s 5 year-old daughter.

“I thought it was exceptionally cool.  It was hot and the sun cooked my head because the roof didn’t cover where I was sitting.  I liked the greeting session and the open-air service.  I liked Pastor Samuel, who was awesome and friendly.  The singing had a lot of rhythm and motion, and I liked it.  I also liked that the people aren’t afraid of what others think of them when they worship.”
 Jaxon Weaver

“I taught Sunday school at the service that I went to.  It went very well. I was in charge of roughly 35 kids today.”
Adrian Myer, who attended Pastor Felix’s church in Boi.

“I liked the church member’s genuine emotion, which showed on their faces when they worshipped.”
Mary Weaver

“I thought church was very good.  I especially liked Dan’s sermon.”
 Kayla Jenkins

“I enjoyed church.  The preacher’s sermon was a little shaky…*laughs* Preaching is nice in that it stretches me and gets me in the Word.  But public speaking is not my most favorite thing.  You won’t hear me say ‘Preach in front of a bunch of people? Oh yes!!’”
Dan Borntreger

No comments:

Post a Comment