Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Come, Thou Long Expected Snowdrifts

Yesterday morning I awoke to a balmy 56 degrees. Things cooled slightly throughout the day, with scattered rain and thunder. In January.

So imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning and beheld this:


Snow! Glorious piles of white fluffy snow everywhere, cancelling schools left and right. This sort of view SHOULDN'T be a surprise in January, but this has been a strange year in weather. I called in to work and was told that the only way to get there would be by four-wheeler. My four-wheeler happens to be at work, so I get the day off. 

Recently, I whined on Facebook about Shane's latest batch of German Shepherd puppies keeping me awake at night with their bawling. Despite my downy disposition, the petty pity-party promoted a prospective puppy purchase. One puppy down, two to go. I'm helping Shane sell them, so I'm going to shamelessly plug them on my blog. 


This puppy is potentially sold, but there are two more. You, dear reader, should buy them. 


This puppy is a noisy little troublemaker perfect addition to your wonderful family! Plus, you can be all smug when people ask, "Is that a Huskie?" and you reply, "No, it's an ultra-rare white German Shepherd."

We keep the little ragamuffins on their chains when they run around. The chain is just tied to their collar and free on the other end, but it allows us to quickly tie them to a tree if they start to run all over the place. Plus the chain slows them down, because Shane and I aren't getting any younger. 

Mitzy took Nigel's bowling ball away from him, but he's too good-natured to let something like that bother him. The bowling ball is one of their favorite toys, which is nice because they destroy normal toys. 

Shane and I pushed some large wooden spools around the yard, setting them up in strategic positions for use as barricades/forts/shields during an incredible snowball fight that we're planning. Pushing wooden spools through 4 inches of snow really indicates a person's body condition. Mine screamed "I'm out of shaaaaaaaape!" So after a while our exterior decorating energy dwindled and we went inside for some breakfast. 

My dad called to let me know that Kevin was coming over to pick up his phone. Dad had found a phone on the ground yesterday in Iowa city. 

There's a little smudge on your phone, Kevin.

All Droid fanboys rejoice! This iPhone is out of commission. OH WAIT it still worked. The phone was receiving phone calls, texts, messages, and alerts. I tried answering the phone calls but I'm not sure where to press or swipe to answer. My efforts were rewarded with little glass shards in my thumb. 

For the phone calls, the ringtone started out with the General Lee horns from the Dukes of Hazzard but then transitioned into some pirate metal. If you don't know what pirate metal is, you should google it. Make sure to crank up your speakers to their maximum first. 

I'm kidding. Don't do that. It's noisy. 

I grabbed a spare ipod USB cable and plugged the phone in. I was greeted with a message on the computer that stated "Cannot connect to Kevin LastName: Please enter passcode." So I looked up Kevin's number in the Iowa City phone book and left a message on his answering machine. After leaving the message, I pondered, "How do you contact someone when you have their phone?" 

I also found a Kevin LastName on Facebook, and sent him a message asking if he lost his phone. He said he hadn't, so all trails had gone cold. Lo and beholdeth, Phone-Book Kevin called our office to schedule a time to pick up his phone. Since I had the phone with me to take photos and blog about it, I had him come to my place. He stopped by and picked it up, thanking me profusely for saving him quite a bit of money. Evidently he can claim insurance and replace his iPhone for $50 but he has to turn in the old phone. Otherwise he would have had to buy a new one. He gave me a reward, which I guess I'll have to share with Dad. 

I asked Kevin how his phone ended up on a busy highway in Iowa City. He thinks he left it on his pickup's tailgate and took off. 

Well, my Mennonite senses are tingling. Reports are that the Kalona Coffee Shop is having a 25% off Snow Day Special. 

A little snow can't keep me from having an eventful day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment