Saturday, March 8, 2014

Amish Imposters

Once upon a time, my friend Brooks coordinated a trip to an Iowa Tennis match and encouraged us to dress like Amishmen.

So we did.


Left to right: Vernon, Marvin, Cecil and Glen



Amish don't like having their photos taken. It's a fact. 

We met a Iowa Hawkeye wide receiver at the tennis match. 
He was hilarious and very nice. Also, he was fairly convinced 
we traveled to the game by buggy. 

After the game, we trotted over to Hy-Vee (a local grocery store) and packed our frugal bodies with All-You-Can-Eat Chinese for $6.

A tradition was born.

Once upon a last Saturday, we went again. Just like the real Amish, our little family grew exponentially.


We aren't trying to belittle the Amish in any way; we're just attending a tennis game dressed as them.

 
 Okay, I'M not trying to belittle the Amish in any way. I can't speak for Danny and Glen



After the tennis matches concluded, we traveled to Hy-Vee to eat $6 Chinese food. It has become a worthy tradition. We may or may not have convinced several people at the tennis match that we needed to get back to our poor horses, who were freezing outside.

We got several strange stares at the Hy-Vee deli, but I imagine that's because most people haven't seen so many handsome men in one place at one time.

This plate was the result of my first run through the buffet line.
The crab rangoon I ate was the best I've ever had in my life.
It was also the first I've ever had in my life.



"For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:"
Ecclesiastes 3:1

I'm currently in a season of blessing.

A season filled with little field trips with my manfriends.
A season filled with little trials, like frozen water lines, fender benders, and health insurance snafus.
A season filled with new friends, trips, and travels.
A season of growth and learning and maturing, a little.
A season of silliness and goofing off and laughing, a lot.



Lord, thank You for the seasons You guide us through.

No comments:

Post a Comment