Sunday, March 10, 2013

Iowa Weather

It's currently flooding in my yard.

We got 6 inches of snow on Tuesday, March 5th.

We've got 3 feet of water on Sunday, March 10th.


A scant 5 days later...

My friend Cody, kayaking in the yard. Cody sense of adventure is matched only by his colossal beard.

Cody enticed Victor and I to go kayaking with him, and I'm glad he did. I had just got home from taking a rowdy bunch of Kids Club kids to Iowa city, and I was ready to take a nap. But Cody persisted, and we had an excellent time, cruising around in the yard and fighting the slow but steady current that was doing its best to ship us to the Gulf of Mexico, free of charge.

The view off my back porch/grilling deck. Due to the heavy fog, you can't really see the bridge that we had a campfire under YESTERDAY, while the water was just a foot from overflowing the banks.


It'll be nice if the Spring melt flooding gets finished before summer, because that will curb the dense mosquito population that converges on this area whenever there's a puddle to spawn in.

"Out of the south cometh the whirlwind: and cold out of the north." -Job 37:9

This verse was most likely talking about Iowa (or perhaps the Midwest in general). We get snow AND rain in the same week.

I've lived in Iowa my whole life, but it still finds ways to surprise me. What next, Iowa? Meteorites? Tsunamis? An earthquake? An invasion of rednecks and/or hippies?


Lord have mercy.


No comments:

Post a Comment